Military Discharges DD214

The office of the Register of Deeds maintains records relating to separation from the armed forces. These documents are recorded without a fee and certified copies are provided without charge to authorized persons.  These documents have restricted access under N.C.G.S. 47-113.2.  Both the record and the index to the records are kept in a separate set of books and access is provided only to the following:

  • Subject of record, must have a picture ID that has not expired
  • Agents and representatives of the subject authorized in writing by one of the following:
    • The subject
    • The subject’s widow or widower in a notarized authorization
    • A court to represent the subject
    • The subject’s executor acting on behalf of a deceased subject
  • Authorized agents of the Division of Veterans Affairs, the United States
    • Department of Veterans Affairs, or the Department of Defense
  • An authorized court official with an interest in assisting the subject or the deceased subject’s beneficiaries to obtain a benefit
  • The North Carolina State Archives

Anyone other than those that meet the above qualifications may contact the Cumberland County Veterans Affairs at 301 East Russell Street, Fayetteville, N.C. (910) 677-2970