Frequently Asked Questions

What are your hours of operation?

8:00 AM until 5:00 PM Monday – Friday, EXCEPT FOR COUNTY OBSERVED HOLIDAYS.


What is your address?

Our mailing address is P. O. Box 2039, Fayetteville, NC  28302
Our physical address is 117 Dick Street, Room 114 Fayetteville, NC  28301

Can anyone access the information contained in the office of the Register of Deeds?

Yes.  All information maintained in our office is public record, with the exception of military discharges. 

How can I obtain a copy of my deed?

You may come into our office and obtain a copy, you may search records online back to 1754, or you may request a copy by mail at P. O. Box 2039, Fayetteville, NC  28302.  Fees for copies are $.25 per page for an uncertified copy and $5.00 for the first page and $2.00 for each additional page for a certified copy.

Does your office search titles?

No.  North Carolina General Statutes strictly prohibit the staff of the Register of Deeds from performing title searches.  The individual or a legal representative may perform the search.

Does your office accept Electronic Recordings?

Yes, for Land Records.  Our office partners with Simplifile, CSC, EPN and Logan Systems.  In order to e-record in Cumberland County you will need to be approved as a trusted submitter.

How can I transfer names on a deed?

You will need to have a new deed prepared.  You should see an attorney for this service, unless you are familiar with drawing up legal documents. Once the document has been prepared, it is recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds.  Recording fees are $26.00 for up to fifteen pages and $4.00 for each additional page.  Excise tax is also paid at the time of recording in the amount of $2.00 per $1,000.00 of the purchase price.

What is the revenue or excise tax calculation on a deed?

August 1, 1991 to present $2.00 per $1,000.00
1969 to July 1991   $1.00 per $1,000.00
Prior to 1969  $1.10 per $1,000.00

Can the Register of Deeds office tell me who owns a particular piece of property by an address?

No, our records are indexed alphabetically by name.  You may contact the Cumberland County Tax office, mapping section.

If I lose my original deed, how can I replace it?

The Register of Deeds is authorized by law to issue a certified copy of any document recorded in the public registry.  You may refer to the Fee Schedule for copy costs.

How can I obtain a copy of a map or plat to my property?

Plats are available online through the Image System at or you may come into our office to obtain a copy.  Fees range from $.25 to $4.00 depending upon size.

How do I obtain a copy of my divorce?

Contact number for Clerk of Court is (910) 475-3000 and choose option 3 for Civil Division.

How do I obtain an initial appointment or reappointment form for my Notary Public?

All Notary Public forms are available on the Secretary of State’s website at  When the Secretary of State approves your Notary Commission, you will receive a notice instructing you to appear in the Register of Deeds office to take your oath of office. You must present a Valid Government Issued Picture ID that carries the same legal name as your notary oath sheet.

Do I need an appointment to take my notary oath?

No appointment is necessary.

How do I register a Business Name?

Complete the proper Assumed Name Form and submit to our office for recording. Fees are $26.00. The forms are provided under the Assumed Name Section of our website as well as on the NC Secretary of State’s website.

What steps do I take to get married?

The Bride and Groom must personally appear and apply for the license.  Both parties must present a Social Security card and a valid picture Government ID such as a driver’s license, state issued ID, Passport, or Military ID.  There is a $60.00 fee for the license and it is valid for 60 days.  If either party has been previously married they must list the date that the marriage ended.  If it ended in divorce within the last 30 days, a certified copy of the divorce decree will be required.  If either party is under the age of eighteen, please call our office for further instructions (910) 678-7795.  No pre-marital physical exams are required.


Can I purchase my marriage license in Cumberland County, but get married in another county in North Carolina?

A license can be issued in any county and the marriage can occur anywhere within the state of North Carolina, however the license must be returned to the county where issued.  An ordained minister or a magistrate may perform the ceremony.

Whom can I speak with about a civil ceremony after I have obtained my marriage license?

You may contact the Magistrate’s office located at the Cumberland County Detention Center, 204 Gillespie Street, Fayetteville, NC (910) 672-5633.  They are open 24 hours a day/7 days per week.  No appointment is necessary.  The exact fee is $50.00 – CASH.

After I’m married, how can I obtain a copy of my marriage certificate?

If your marriage license was obtained in Cumberland County, you may request a copy in person or by mail at P.O. Box 2039, Fayetteville, NC  28302.  The fee for a certified copy is $10.00.   Certified copies will be available within three business days upon the return of the original marriage license.  You must show a picture ID or a driver’s license to purchase a certified copy.

How do I change my name after marriage?

You will need a certified copy of your marriage license for a name change on your driver’s license and your Social Security card.  You will first present the certified copy to Social Security Administration located at 145 Rowan Street, Fayetteville, NC (corner of Rowan & Arch Streets in downtown Fayetteville).  You will then need to go to the Division of Motor Vehicles with a certified copy in order to change your Driver’s license or State Identification Card.

How can I obtain a copy of my birth certificate?

The Cumberland County Register of Deeds houses birth certificates for Cumberland County.  If you were born in North Carolina and adopted, you will need to contact North Carolina Vital Records in Raleigh at (919) 733-3000. 

You may come into our office with a valid picture ID or request a copy by mail at P. O. Box 2039, Fayetteville, NC  28302.  The cost for a certified copy is $10.00. Please include your name at birth, date of birth, parent’s names and relationship to whom you are requesting the certificate, along with your signature.  We will process your request within two to three working days.

Can I Order My Birth, Death or Marriage Certificate online?

You can order Certified Copies Only of Birth, Death or Marriage Certificates by simply clinking on the link “Get Certificates Now” located under Online Vitals. The fee is $14.50.

How do I amend my child’s name on the Birth Certificate?

You will need to provide an early school record for proof of the correct spelling of the name.  If the child is under school age, you may provide a doctor’s record or immunization record.  An amendment will then be processed in our office for a $10.00 fee.  You will then need to mail the amendment form to North Carolina Vital Records, 1903 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC  27699-1903, along with a $15.00 fee for processing.  Once they have processed the change and returned it to us, you may obtain a certified copy from our office for $10.00 or you may request a copy from them for an additional $24.00 fee.  Amendments are processed by appointments only.

How do I add the father’s name to the child’s birth certificate?

If the parents are not married, they will need to have an affidavit of parentage from the office of the Clerk of Court.  If the parents are married after the birth of the child, they may process a legitimation in the Register of Deeds office for a $10.00 fee.  Both parties will need to personally appear with a valid picture ID, a certified copy of the marriage license and a $10.00 fee.  After processing, the parents will need to send the legitimation form along with a $15.00 fee to North Carolina Vital Records, 1903 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC  27699-1903.  The State office will process a new birth certificate and forward it to us, at which time you may obtain a copy from our office for a $10.00 fee or the Raleigh office for a $24.00 fee.  Legitimations are processed by appointment only.

How do I obtain a copy of a death certificate?

The Cumberland County Register of Deeds houses death certificates for Cumberland County deaths only.  The informant, spouse, parents, grandparents, children or grandchildren may come into our office with a valid picture ID or you may request a copy by mail at P. O. Box 2039, Fayetteville, NC  28302.  Please state your relationship to the deceased and include your signature. You must provide proof or your relationship by providing certified copies of a birth or marriage record that shows the relationship in question.   The cost for a certified copy is $10.00.

What is the benefit of having my military discharge recorded?

By having your military discharge or DD-214 papers recorded, you can insure there will always be official documentation of your discharge on file.  As you may move or change places of residence from time to time, official documents may become lost or misplaced.  Recording in our office always insures that you have access to a certified copy.  (A certified copy of your DD-214 is as good as an original).  This also allows relatives to receive full military funeral benefits.  Without a certified copy of discharge papers, families of the deceased veteran will need to contact the Veteran’s Administration to determine how to qualify.  Veterans Services is located in the 301 East Russell Street, Fayetteville, NC  28301 (910) 677-2970.  There is not a fee to record or receive a copy of a DD-214.

What forms of payments are accepted?

 Cash, checks and money orders are accepted by mail. Checks or money orders should be payable to the Cumberland County Register of Deeds.

Cash, checks, money orders and credit cards (Visa, Mastercard and Discover) are
accepted in our office. A minimum of $10.00 is required for a credit card transaction.