Marriage License Requirements

Marriage License Requirements

  • A premarital physical is no longer required.
  • Both applicants must present identification.
  • All Applicants may use one of the following I.D.’s:
    • Driver’s license* (MAY NOT BE EXPIRED)
    • State-issued I.D. Card (MAY NOT BE EXPIRED)
    • Passport (MAY NOT BE EXPIRED)
    • Military I.D. (MAY NOT BE EXPIRED)

If one of the above referenced ID’s does not provide your full name, please provide a Certified copy of your birth certificate.

 Valid picture ID does NOT include the temporary paper ID now received from NC DMV. This temporary paper ID is for driving privileges only and NOT to be used for identification purposes in obtaining a marriage license. You must wait for the hard copy pictured drivers license to be mailed to you before using it to obtain a marriage license.

In addition to a valid picture ID, applicants 16 or 17  years of age must also have a certified copy of their birth certificate to acquire a license and a written parental consent by a parent having full or joint legal custody of the underage party; or by a person, agency, or institution having legal custody or serving as a guardian of the underage party.  The Parental Consent Form is available in the Register of Deeds office.  According to new North Carolina State Law, the age difference between the youth and their spouse can be no more than four years.  NCGS 51-2

  • Both applicants must provide their Social Security card, not a copy.  Applicants that do not have a Social Security card may present a paper copy of a W-2, pay stub or government issued document with the complete Social Security number as verification.  Note:  An alien admitted to the United States for permanent residence or to engage in employment must be issued a Social Security number through the Social Security Administration.
  • Applicants who are not eligible for a Social Security number may obtain a marriage license by signing an affidavit attesting to this fact.  The affidavit is available in the Register of Deeds office. 

    If you do not fully understand English, you are responsible for bringing an interpreter with you.  We do not furnish interpreters for any language. The person you are marrying cannot be the interpreter.
  • Divorced Applicants: If the divorce was finalized within 30 days from the date of applying for the license, the applicant must provide a certified copy of the divorce decree as well. There is a 24 hour waiting period between the divorce and applying for the new license. If the divorce was longer than 30 days, you must provide the month and year of divorce.
  • The license is good immediately upon issuance and is valid for 60 days in the State of N.C. It must be returned to the Register of Deeds’ office in the county in which it was issued.  Please return unused license to our office.
  • The fee for the license is $60.  Only cash, check, money order or credit card  (Visa, Mastercard and Discover) is accepted. A minimum amount of $10.00 is required for Credit Card transaction. Please make check or money order payable to Cumberland County Register of Deeds.
    To obtain a Marriage license promptly, Applicants must be in our office  between  8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.  Couples applying between 12:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. should expect up to an hour’s wait.
  • If you need a copy of your marriage license, it can be obtained at our office in person or by mail at P. O. Box 2039, Fayetteville, NC 28302 for $10.00. You may also request a copy from our “Online Vitals”  at for $14.50.